Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Reality

In one of the messages today, Tim Addington talked about the reality of life in Thailand: astounding rates of prostitution from young children on up, young women being sold into sexual slavery by their own families, extreme brokenness. I've been thinking about some of the sobering statistics most of the day and trying to find the reflection time to let it hit my heart as hard as it should. It's sickening, despicable. It's something we'd never know about and we're sheltered from in the U.S. And if I take this experience at face value-enamored by the things that any normal human would, I'd miss the heartbeat of a country desperate for hope. Desperate to be given something more than humiliation, selling bodies for income, ultimate shame-it's easy to be a tourist. Again, it's more than I have the capacity to unpack right now, but Google some of what's going on in Thailand. It's a harsh reality. And it's happening in one form or another ALL OVER THE WORLD. 

I couldn't post any pictures today. I just uploaded them from the camera, but couldn't bring myself to post in this particular entry-not when millions of young women across the world and only minutes away from where I'm writing this are being sold for money. 

No comments: