Monday, March 30, 2009

Losing it and the transition.



Here's where I start to feel a little out of control. I've bobbed in the Andaman Sea and been surrounded by beauty I thanked God for. Standing in the crystal water, letting the breathtaking landscape of cliffs growing from the water and warm waves lap at and bump me. I could have stood there for days soaking it in, soaking in it. I really didn't want to leave. Something about it, the characteristics that make it one of the 'world's top 10' got to me. And I'm not a crazy beach person. 

Then I lost it. Swaying to the tide, I balanced on my right foot while bringing my left knee to my chest. Sort of a meditative stretch-I was praying while stretching and searching for an end to the sea in front of me. I started to unclasp my hands, slipping, almost there, unclasped...and my wedding ring went right with the declasping. I looked for 40 minutes, even opened my eyes underwater but got nothing. But, I was not hurt stretching. 

The losing part for me is not the ring but the rush of experiences, maybe just a snapshot here, a smell, a sound, a face-each one vying for some reflective attention--and not getting enough at the moment. As someone of context, I'm trying to put the pieces together around me all the time and trying desperately to remain present in each greeting, new sight, tiny realization. It's hard to be in my head. 

The 'big one' has been an exhilarating ride thus far. It's a smorgasbord of sensation and stimulus; almost every single one of them brand new. I want to write about the massages Mary and I had-not because it's a western comparison but because I was so humbled by it. 

A trip like this makes me proud to be human. Sometimes embarrassed to be an American. And so very grateful to get itty bitty glimpses of God's creativity. 

Much, much more to come. (the pics are from our room here in Bangkok).

1 comment:

Chad Caswell said...

T & M,

Oh no! Very sad about your ring. Other than that, it sounds like an AMAZING experience thus far. We will need to connect on Skype soon!!

Stay safe and have a great trip home, Mary!!

--Chad & crew