Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Good Blogging

I just read a blog about blogging. When you read books or articles by writers, for writers, you will come across plenty of similar encouragement: read and write. Read a lot so that you can get a feel for others' voices. Because, after all, much of writing is about finding and developing your own written 'voice.' The second general encouragement you get is to write, write and write. It's like anything-you have to practice to get better. Even Stephen King says so. I can't name most rules of the English language, meaning I can't tell you when you get wrapped up in a dangling participle or expound about modifiers. I think I can eye a sentence and, for the most part, manipulate it so that it sounds like it was freed of a dangling participle and that no modifiers are imposing. But that is some crazy God-given talent that I still don't really understand.

Like Mary can throw numbers around all day, do it well and be energized by it, I am more and more eager to read and write, read and write. I got the bug bad about 5 years ago and watched it fizzle a bit in the past 2 years because of my career change. But there is something so liberating about sitting down and allowing the words to jump through my fingers. Those few aha moments when I can articulate something exactly the way it is in my core are worth every keyboard strike. Sometimes they turn into one long run-on sentence (I lied, I know a few grammar rules)...and sometimes they just work.

So, back to this blog about blogging (after reading it I realized I broke most of the rules). Great little article and I've been encouraged more than a few times by the practicality of Writer's Digest. Check out the article here (20 Tips for Good Blogging). Enjoy and happy blogging!

No comments: