Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Signs

I saw an intimidating sign today. I was driving north on 35W and noticed a big orange construction truck blocking the entrance to an off ramp. Several garbage-can-looking objects were sitting in the bed of the truck, blocking it's rear window. I was almost past the truck when I took another glance back and saw a sign the cans were hiding. It read:

Stay Back. Stay Alive.

To read this on the back of a construction truck as an individual who spends a fair amount of his time putting words and moving pictures to relay experiences, I found it all at once amusing.

I saw visions of small soldiers guarding the rear view mirror with mini shovels, heard the "Mr. Big Voice" movie trailer guy warning in his stern way, saw 2 people fencing, John Travolta dancing to a new rendition of his song and a scene straight out of Camelot.

I think I would have written the sign: Please do not get too close to this moving vehicle since your very livelihood is at stake in this matter. Thank you for your cooperation. -Management. But I suppose it's true-in the world of words, less is more.

No comments: