Saturday, March 29, 2008

Try Toy

This is going to be a haphazard attempt at bringing random thoughts into a single meaning. I already know it's not going to work. 

Instead, I'll lazily string together randomness and try to pluck a common string at the end. First, welcome Maria (Mary's Mom) and Michelle (Mary's sister) to Minneapolis. Great to have you. Thanks for bringing the sun. A few new readers stopped by this week and asked politely if this blog is about things I think about. Yes, it is. I just read a snappy little article on Writer's Digest (dotcom) about TMIS (Too Many Ideas Syndrome). I have it. A plethora of, myriad (will someone please create a universal rule for this word) ideas float through my head and so few of them make it out. The ones that end up here are a smattering short enough to keep the average [now] reader's attention span of 1:56. A friend recently told me that a question we need to ask ourselves every single day of our lives (I'm sorry, I know I completely omitted an entire context of conversation leading up to and following that poignant nugget of a question) is Who Am I? We answer the question by what we believe and far more importantly, how we act on those beliefs; what we do with our time, what we think about, what we fear, what we find great joy in. And of course, how we sign off on e-mails. I sign mine with Peace. Have for many years now. And when I'm getting out of an e-mail and do so too fast, I end up typing my name as Try or Toy. I think I've alway caught it (yes, I re-read every single e-mail I ever write before sending and have even been known to send a follow-up e-mail to clarify a word or misspelling-and yes, I am aware that this is somewhat neurotic behavior.) So I catch myself assuring e-mail recipients that it is I, Troy, sending this message-not a toy, not willing you to try Troy or try anything for that matter. And while I'm redefining who I am with each sent message, asking myself what peace really means, I'm all the while asking a question for the ages-If I try a Troy toy, will Troy toy with my try? 

See, failed attempt. Thankfully, it was free to post. 

No comments: